Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Poem: "The Adonis": by CJ Heck

Loaded Birthday Cake
"Beautiful young people are accidents of nature; beautiful old people are works of art." ~Eleanor Roosevelt

How strange this whole aging thing is.

Every year we celebrate a birthday, then another, then one day, we are suddenly my age.

It seems like it all happened so fast, but the truth is, "life" happens.

Between the birthdays, life captures all of our attention, moment to moment, day by day, and in its grip, we are so emotionally invested, we are unaware of time passing.

I can't say I ever think of myself as "old".  The mind, which is supposed to be the smartest part of us, takes a lot longer to wise up.

I still feel the same age in my mind as I did at eighteen; however, a word of caution:  Avoid Mirrors!  Mother Truth hides in them.

Jimmy Buffett put this line in one of his songs:
"... wrinkles only go where the smiles have been ..."  
Smart man.  I must be a happy lady ...

Here is my new outlook on getting even older ...

An Adonis-Type of Guy
















The Adonis


Young god,
head held high,
proud mane blowing
in the city's dirty breeze,
clothes just enough wrinkled
to make a woman believe
you just climbed out of a quickie
or stepped off of page 42
in this month's GQ.

Do you mind
that I turn and look
as you walk by?

No, of course not.
You don't see me as a threat.
You don't even see me at all.

But just give me
another ten years ...
by then, I'll be old enough
to reach over,
give your butt a squeeze
and say, "Mmmm ... nice buns."


... life is good.


(From the book, "Anatomy of a Poet", by CJ Heck)







Read a Preview of Anatomy of a Poet












“A writer soon learns that easy to read is hard to write.” ~CJ Heck


No comments:

AddThis