Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Poem: Unopened Letter

Table in the Foyer





"One day you'll love me as I love you. One day you'll think of me as I think of you. One day you'll cry for me as I cry for you. One day you'll want me, but I won't want you." ~Anonymous









Unopened Letter

by CJ Heck

A letter came a week ago.
It was mutely resting
between the potted ivy
and car keys,
marking time
on the cherry table
in the foyer.
It's unopened, of course,
but on first touching it,
holding it,
memories crept unbidden
from her heart.
She knew what it said
but couldn't make herself
read the words.
She knew they were angry.
She knew they were written
to demand in yet one more way
what she didn't have to give.
She walked by it
a thousand times,
even held it
close to her heart once or twice.
Maybe if she didn't read it
the words would somehow
change
and say what she needed
most to hear,
but he was never into
apologies or forgiveness.
What's that spot
there, on the table,
... a tear?

What a sorrowful
waste of a stamp.


"A writer soon learns that easy to read is hard to write." ~CJ Heck



5 comments:

John B said...

Incredible writing. I think of all the different parts I've had to play in my life...happy husband, sad husband, ex-husband. All the love that wouldn't quit but didn't work...is an ex-husband still a husband?
I'm in a better love story now- as long as I don't look back.
Awesome relationship poem indeed, many will relate.

John

CJ Heck said...

Thank you, John, for taking the time to read the poem and for your kind comments.
CJ

CJ Heck said...

Kay Easterling (from Facebook page)
I have been there, done that! You knew that opening that letter would be unpleasant. And you had the strength to not do that.
CJ, this story pulls at my heartstrings. You are such a loving , caring woman who should not to have suffered like that! But we live and learn and are all the stronger for it. You're a survivor, which most people cannot fathom the hell you've been through. And they would have given up on life. But not you! You have the strength to go on and succeed as you have, as a great writer and with your love of children. Writing for them has been your therapy! And it is therapy for me to read all of your stories and poems, which I find so touching.
Thank you for being my friend.

Gabby Streck said...

This is beautiful CJ. I have been there too but I refused to open one that I thought was going to be a break up letter. I threw it away and didn't speak to him again. I just moved on and it turned out that it wasn't but we'd both moved on. Then of course I regretted it. But when you feel it is not going in your favor and you get that letter, it is understandable to fear opening it and letting yourself be vulnerable and hurt. You captured all the feelings we go through, "wanting the words to change, but knowing that they won't". I was young then and probably more resilient than I am now. I can imagine what it would be like to go through what you've been through and still be so sane and the great writer that you are now.

CJ Heck said...

Thank you for taking time to read the poem, Gabby, and for your kind comments -- I think most people have been through something similar and can relate.
Hugs to you,
CJ

AddThis