Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Children's Poem: "My Teddy Bear"

Little Girl and Teddy Bear

“There’s just something about a teddy bear that’s impossible to explain. When you hold one in your arms, you get a feeling of love, comfort and security. It’s almost supernatural.”- James Ownby







My Teddy Bear

by CJ Heck

My teddy bear was getting old.
I showed him to my dad.
The threads that made his mouth were gone.
My teddy bear looked so sad.

His round dark eyes were crooked.
His button nose hung down.
It made me cry to look at him,
my teddy bear, soft and brown.

A jagged hole showed stuffing
poking through along one side.
I had to hug him gently,
so it wouldn’t grow more wide.

When Dad showed him to Mommy,
she fixed him up like new.
His button nose was tight again.
His mouth was smiling, too.

His eyes were side by side
just like they used to be,
and when I sat and talked to him,
he looked right back at me.

She pushed the stuffing in again,
then sewed the hole with thread,
and when I went to sleep last night,
he was with me on my bed.

You know that someone loves you
by the little things they do.
Sometimes that means much more
than even saying “I love you.”


(from the book, Barking Spiders 2, by CJ Heck)




Read More Poems from the Book
Buy at Amazon









"A writer soon learns that easy to read is hard to write." ~CJ Heck



6 comments:

Charlene Nitke said...

Love this one!! I had a dolly that my dad fixed for me at around age four. I thought that he could do anything and he sure did! This story related!

CJ Heck said...

I can certainly relate, Charlene. I, too, thought my Dad could make anything better, fix anything, and he had the answers to every question I could ask -- in the rare instances when he wasn't able to, a hug always made things better (smiling). Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Dear Poet,
Can you please send me your email. I want to inquire about your poem My teddy bear.

CJ Heck said...

Hello Anonymous,
I would love to, but I don't know who you are! You didn't leave a name, or any way of contacting you -- sorry.

Anonymous said...

Dear Ms Heck,

I am editing an English textbook series, and we plan to use this poem in one textbook.

My teddy bear was getting old, I showed it to my dad………..

Can you please let us know if you have written this poem and if yes, then do give us permission to use it.

Regards,

Shirin Kavi
Editor
School Editorial Department
Oxford University Press

CJ Heck said...

Hello Shirin,

Thank you for contacting me and for inquiring about the use of my poem,
"My Teddy Bear" in your text book.

I have sent you an email so we can discuss this further.

Thank you for your inquiry and your interest. I feel very honored.

AddThis