Friday, June 25, 2010

Age is Subjective

Beautiful young people are accidents of nature, but beautiful old people are works of art. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

My birthday is coming up again in a few weeks. I was thinking this morning with my coffee how funny this whole aging thing is.

Every year you get a little bit older and then a little bit older, until one day, you just wake up suddenly at MY age. WOW. It all happens so damned slowly, that you don't ever feel any older at all. It just sneaks up on you -- and yet the mind, (which is supposed to be the smartest part of us), takes way, way longer to catch up. I'll let you younger ones in on a little secret. Most of us "sixty-somethings" still feel the same in our minds as we did when we were say, eighteen -- it's when you pass a mirror and take a peek, well, that's when Mother Truth stares back at you.

It makes me think of what Jimmy Buffett so wisely said in one of his songs, "... wrinkles only go where the smiles have been ..." Hmmm, I guess I must have been a pretty happy lady.

Here's my new outlook on getting older ...

The Adonis
by CJ Heck


Young god,
head held high,
proud mane blowing
in the city's dirty breeze,
clothes just enough wrinkled
to make a woman believe
you just climbed out of a quickie
or stepped out of page 42
in this month's GQ.
Do you mind
that I turn and look
as you walk by?
No, of course not.
You don't see me as a threat.
You don't even see me
at all.
But just give me
another ten years ...
by then,
I'll be old enough
to reach over
give your butt a squeeze
and say,
mmm ... nice ass!


Mmm, Mmm, Mmm ... life is beautiful.

Bookmark and Share

2 comments:

CJ Heck said...

Marylou McGinnis Crabtree (from Facebook page)
That is priceless... Well said...
It is a good thing we don't feel as old as we look or we'd all be pushin' up daisies.
~m~

CJ Heck said...

Karen Copenhaver Bryan (from Facebook page)
My 60th is fast approaching. I still feel like a teen-ager. My body just won't let me act like one!! L0L!!

AddThis