Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Breakfast in Bed:

Ahh, kids, ya gotta love 'em ... and I do. I so love their innocence and their unbridled joy in just being alive.

One of my grandsons, Jack, turns three this coming weekend. He's so adorable -- about as smart as they come -- and he's a good boy, too. Robert and I are driving to Connecticut for the weekend. We're looking forward to having some warm and fuzzy time with my daughter, her husband, and Jack and Tyler, (his little brother). Of course, we're also going to attend Jack's birf-day pah-tee on Saturday.

To quote Jack: "Gram-mee, you comin' to my birfday pahtee? I'm gonna be free yizz ode!" (He was so excited. How could I ever say no?)

I remember a birthday, a long time ago, when my girls were about five, seven and nine. It was the very first time they brought me breakfast in bed. They were so proud of themselves and, like Jack with his birf-day exuberance, when they brought their surprise in to wake me, there was pure joy on their faces as they stood there smiling and giggling in anticipation.

Breakfast in Bed
(from the book "Barking Spiders, Too")
by CJ Heck


Wake up, Mommy Mommy.
We’ve got a BIG surprise.
Me and Sissy made you breakfast.
Please, open up your eyes.

Here’s the paper from the porch,
just in case you want to read.
Please wake up and put your glasses on
so your eyes can see.

There’s cereal with milk on it
and toast with butter, too.
(Sissy scraped the black stuff off).
We made it all for YOU.

We didn’t make the coffee,
but, Mommy, that’s okay
‘cause me and Sissy found some
in the pot from yesterday.

Our eggs look kind of funny,
not like the ones you make.
Ours are way too slickery.
They keep sliding off the plate.

We’re sorry there’s no muffin,
but there weren’t any more.
Well ... the one that WAS left over
got smushed on the kitchen floor.

There used to be a donut,
it was right there on the plate.
Me and Sissy got real hungry,
but it’s the ONLY thing we ate.

When it comes to making breakfast,
there's a LOT of work to do,
but we made it just to show you
Mommy Mommy, we love you.


I was so proud of them. I didn't care that the breakfast wasn't perfect. It was perfect for me -- I felt their love and that's what really matters.

Have a great day! ~CJ

Bookmark and Share

No comments:

AddThis