Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Poem: When I Finally Close My Eyes

CJ





To love is to risk not being loved in return. To hope is to risk feeling pain. To try is to risk failure, but risk must be taken.  The greatest misuse of a life is to die never having risked at all.






When I Finally Close My Eyes

by CJ Heck

When I close my eyes
for the last time,
I want to have lived,
really lived.

I want to know I've tasted
the smorgasbord of life,
having relished the good
and spat the bad back out,
knowing at least I tried it.

When I'm done here,
I don't want to wonder
whether someone caught
the kiss I threw,
I will know.

I don't want to leave this life
with my heart as empty
as my pockets have always been.

I want to know, without a doubt,
I've left something of me behind,
something that's good, not regret
for never making a difference.

When I close my eyes
for the very last time,
I would like someone
to remember
... I was here.



[from the book, "Anatomy of a Poet"]




More Poems From the Book

Buy at Amazon







"In the end, these things matter most:  How well did you love?  How fully did you live?  How deeply did you let go?" ~ Siddartha Gautama


“A writer soon learns that easy to read is hard to write.” ~CJ Heck


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here is one for whom you've made a difference. --Michael Roman

Anonymous said...

So beautifully written. The only way to die, is to die living life. Thank you CJ. Namaste -- Lee Tucker

AddThis