Thursday, July 29, 2010

My Big Toe ...

Stubbed Toe - Ouch

“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing ...” ~George Bernard Shaw

... hmmm, guess that means, I'll never grow old ... CJ

I can't think of anything worse than stubbing your toe ... well, that's not quite true. (I'm sorry). I can think of one thing worse and that's stubbing your toe at my age.

I don't know about you, but I hate wearing shoes. I think I spent my whole childhood in my bare feet ... well, that's not quite true, either. (I'm so sorry). We did have winter in Ohio.  It was cold and we got snow so, knowing my parents, I'm sure I wore both shoes and boots all winter. I'm willing to bet though that as soon as I came indoors, the shoes and boots were kicked off by the front door.

I can say with all honesty that my summers were spent with at least one, if not both, big toes bandaged the entire summer.  Anyway, I'm getting myself all side-tracked here. Today, it's summer and it's hot and, as usual, I'm barefoot.

Well, I went outside in my bare feet to do one simple little thing. I heard the mailman's truck while I was sitting here writing, so I ran out the front door, across the front porch and down the steps to get the mail. Damn, if I didn't stub my stupid big toe on the sidewalk.

I remembered that dancing around for a while always helped -- you know, while you're waiting for the pain to subside -- so I did that first. Then, I hobbled back up the front steps, across the porch and inside the front door where I had to hop on one foot all the way through the house to the kitchen sink to rinse it off so I could see the damage. Darn thing bled like a sun-of-a-gun!

Here I am, a senior citizen, with a big old bandage wrapped around a boo-boo on my big toe. I can't believe I did that. Thank God it's summer and I can wear my strappy sandals ... but if you see me out and about and you dare to laugh, I'm probably going to punch you in the arm ...

I have to go. I see I left a trail of little red drops all the way from the sidewalk to my kitchen sink and now I'm the grownup, so I have to clean it up.

Geez-Louise, it looks like Hansel and Gretel were here and they left a trail ...


Bookmark and Share

No comments:

AddThis