Sunday, March 14, 2010

Favorite Quotations on Writing

"All of us learn to write in the second grade. Most of us go on to greater things." ~Bobby Knight

"The waste basket is the writer's best friend." ~Isaac Singer

"Fairy tales are more than true:  not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten." ~G.K. Chesterton

"To me, the greatest pleasure of writing is not what it's about, but the music the words make."
~Truman Capote

"When I was a little boy, they called me a liar, but now that I am a grownup, they call me a writer."
~Isaac Singer

"Writing is easy. All you do is stare at a blank sheet of paper until drops of blood form on your forehead."
~Gene Fowler

"A writer lives in awe of words for they can be cruel or kind, and they can change their meaning right in front of you. They pick up flavors and odors like butter in a refrigerator." ~Anonymous

"I finally know what I want to be when I grow up." ~C.J. Heck

"The role of a writer is not to say what we can all say, but what we are unable to say." ~Anais Nin

"Poetry ... is the opening and closing of a door, leaving those who look through to guess
about what was seen during a moment." ~Carl Sandburg

"Thou shalt not' is soon forgotten, but 'Once upon a time' lasts forever." ~Philip Pullman

"There have been great societies that did not use the wheel, but there have been no societies that did not tell stories." ~Ursula K. LeGuin

"The tale is often wiser than the teller." ~Susan Fletcher

"If a book comes from the heart, it will contrive to reach other hearts." ~Thomas Carlyle

"Of course it's true, but it may not have happened." ~Patricia Polacco's grandmother

"As I look back on what I have written, I can see that the very persons who have taken away my time
are those who have given me something to say." ~Katherine Paterson

"It's a fair-sized job to write a book that people can be bothered just to read; when they begin to steal copies, you are really getting someplace." ~Ruth Stout

"You see, I was one of those people who do not believe in enchantments. And because of that, I must suffer to be enchanted myself, and to be chained and push this millstone around." ~Richard Kennedy

"Don't use words too big for the subject. Don't say 'infinitely' when you mean 'very'; otherwise you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite." ~C.S. Lewis

"Words, once they are printed, have a life of their own." ~Carol Burnett

"Keep writing. Keep doing it and doing it. Even in the moments when it's so hurtful to think about writing." ~Heather Armstrong

"The cure for writer's cramp is writer's block." ~Inigo DeLeon

"You must keep sending work out; you must never let a manuscript do nothing but eat its head off in a drawer. You send that work out again and again, while you're working on another one. If you have talent, you will receive some measure of success - but only if you persist." ~Isaac Isimov

"Writing is the only profession where no one considers you ridiculous if you earn no money." ~Jules Renard

"The only reason for being a professional writer is that you can't help it." ~Leo Rosten

"First you're an unknown, then you write one book and you move up to obscurity." ~Martin Myers

"I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork." ~Peter De Vries



Bookmark and Share

No comments:

AddThis