Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Poem: Full Circle

Playing Dress Up




If I was asked to name the one thing I'm most proud of, it would be my three daughters.

Being their mother was the most rewarding experience of my life, and they've grown into the most exceptional women that I know and have ever known. I thank them for such a prestigious honor.










For Carrie, Bethany and Heather, my 'mirrors' ...


Full Circle

by CJ Heck

A little girl clops in mommy's heels,
her dress, a floppy hat.
The borrowed pearls she's chosen
dangle halfway down her back.

Her face a shining rainbow,
ruby lips, cheeks tinted pink,
blue splashes on both eyelids,
powder snowflakes in the sink.

She'll go twirling in a ballroom,
a princess with her knight.
Or better still, be mommy
out with daddy Friday night.


In a child's imagination
everything is crystal clear,
yet the truth beneath the surface
is revealed in mommy's mirror.

That little girl is all grown up,
clothes and shoes are now my size ...
but the mirror of maturation
is now my daughters' eyes.


[From the book, "Anatomy of a Poet", by C.J. Heck]


I love you, girls.
Mom



“A writer soon learns that easy to read is hard to write.” ~CJ Heck


2 comments:

Rachealgrace Adams said...

A beautiful poem CJ. Truly well written both from a mothers side as well as her daughter's. Thank you for this offering.

CJ Heck said...

Thank you most sincerely, Rachaelgrace!

AddThis