Friday, January 28, 2011

My Inner Child: A School Visit Morning


My Children's Books

On an author school visit day, I set the alarm for 5:00 a.m.

Then I say to myself what Ron White always says, "It's gonna be a good day today, Tater."

Most mornings start out pretty much the same at our house.

Robert and I have coffee together first, then we write our blogs and post them; then I post one of the veteran's articles on Memoirs From Nam, answer emails, approve comments, answer them, and then I'm ready to settle in and write, or edit, while Robert heads off to work.

On mornings when I have a school visit, there's so much more to do. I need a good hour with my coffee, check the internet for a few minutes, answer emails, and then I have to get busy.

I have to put my contacts in, take a shower, get dressed, pack up the car ... but before I do any of that, I have to do something else, first ...

I have to wake up my inner child.  I never do a school visit without her. She's not far away, though -- she's down inside, patiently waiting for the wake up call.

I have to give credit where credit is due. She's the one who really loves doing the school visits and she does most of the work, too, although we each have our jobs to do in the presentations. But, she's the one who gets the adrenalin pumping -- I'm just happy she lets me share the fun.

I also have to set aside some time to make sure I have everything else that goes with me (us):
  • books (weeks before, I take a pre-order from schools and their students) 
  • brochures 
  • book marks 
  • doorknob signs
  • spider treasure boxes
  • stickers

A few years ago, one librarian at a school visit presented me with a HUGE paper mache spider.  He looks exactly like the comical, colorful spider on my book.

She painted his body blue, his head red, the long legs are white, and to finish him, she glued on these large "google eyes". She even fashioned the web he "hangs" from, out of a piece of wire.

He's adorable and I treasure him. Now he comes with me (us) on every school visit, like a mascot.  My inner child and the kids at the schools adore him.

So, once the check list is done, I remind myself once again, "Yep, it's gonna be a good day today, Tater ..."

Happy School Visiting!
CJ


"A writer soon learns that easy to read is hard to write." ~CJ Heck



No comments:

AddThis