Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Pockets Full of Happy

Relaxation and Peace

Our weekend down in North Carolina was short, but so relaxing and memorable.

This was to be the first time my daughter and her family met Robert, and he them, and it was a good fit all the way around.

It was a short visit, but I've come to the conclusion that sometimes, without ever meaning to, we actually get more from having less ... how can that be?

For one thing, my son-in-law was there the entire weekend, something I've missed on other visits to their home. He's had umpteen deployments, numerous floats, and the innumerable training missions.

I guess I've always tried to time my visits during those absences so my daughter would have me, at least for a little while, and not feel so alone when he was away. I've learned he's facing another deployment after the first of the year, so I know I'll be planning another visit during that time, too.

It had been over a year. I loved getting reacquainted with my three grandchildren and collecting and distributing the long-saved hugs and kisses.

I again enjoyed the comical, sometimes puzzling, language of "toddler-speak" with Halloran, having the recent visit from my two Connecticut toddler grandsons still fresh in my mind. (She is the spitting image of her mother at that age, both in looks and in actions).

I loved the amazing pre-teen conversations with Will Jr., and I adored playing a special indoor version of frisbee with Matty -- for those of you who don't know, indoor frisbee must be played with a plastic dinner plate from Halloran's little kitchen set ... necessity really is the mother of invention ...

Saturday, we watched football and talked non-stop and Sunday, we went to the beach on base at Camp LeJeune. It was perfect -- white sand, shells everywhere, and plenty of what I had hoped to find: sharks' teeth. They're there, if you know how to look for them. Then Sunday night, everyone pitched in to cook a meal designed for royalty.

I was amazed at the amount of love we packed into our two and a half days together, without actually being packed in -- it all just happened, just like it was meant to.

While I would love to have spent another few days gathering even more memories, I have to say, I left with my pockets full of happy ...


"A writer soon learns that easy to read is hard to write."~CJ Heck


1 comment:

CJ Heck said...

Jan Hoffman
Sooooooooo Happy that you had a really good time! Makes me miss the other half of the Family even MORE, though! Haven't seen them since Easter & have NO IDEA when we will get to see them again! Ft Leonard Wood, MO is a VERY long trip for an 80 yr old Great-Grampa!
HAPPY HOLIDAYS to You & Yours, CJ! ...
Jan

CJ Heck
Thank you, Jan, and the very same to you!
CJ
Kay Easterling
Such a lovely story about a short, but fun filled family "reunion". It's like Chicken Soup for the Soul.
Kay

CJ Heck
Thank you, Kay. What a nice thing to say.
CJ

AddThis