Wednesday, October 26, 2011

When I Finally Close My Eyes ...

Sunrise/Sunset















When I Finally Close My Eyes

by CJ Heck

When I close my eyes
for the last time,
I want to have lived,
really lived.

I want to know I've tasted
the smorgasbord of life,
having relished the good
and spat the bad back out,
knowing at least I tried it.

When I'm done here,
I won't have to wonder
whether someone caught
the kiss I threw,
I will know.

I don't want to leave this life
with a heart as empty
as my pockets have always been.

I want to know, without a doubt,
I've left something of me behind,
something that's good,
not regret
for never making a difference.

When I close my eyes
for the very last time,
I would like
someone to remember
... I was here.



"A writer soon learns that easy to read is hard to write." ~CJ Heck



1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey CJ just dropped by to say hello and love the poem.

Carol x

AddThis