Thursday, April 7, 2011

Celtic Woman and Fairies


The Little Blond Fiddler
Robert and I sure had a whirlwind weekend, last weekend -- and I'm still tired. We drove to Ohio (4 1/2 hours) to see family, something that's always a treat.

Once there, as usual, we hit the Buehler' grocery store to buy some of the best cream-filled long johns that were ever invented to take along.

We spent Friday night with his mom, dad and sister, Cindy, and left at around noon on Saturday. We then drove to Columbus to my dad's.

When we arrived, my oldest younger brother was there and we enjoyed visiting with him.  Then we had plans to meet up with Robert's son, David, at the Outback for dinner and some more visiting.  The Outback's a great restaurant, by the way ...

Sunday was my dad's 84th birthday and we had tickets to take him to a Celtic Woman concert at 2:00.  Listen, if you ever get the chance to see them, go! I guarantee, you won't be disappointed. What a wonderful, magical show they put on.

That little blond gal that accompanies the group with her fiddle is well-worth the show, all by herself. She fiddles AND dances while she's doing it, tosses her long hair with a perpetual smile and charms everyone in the audience. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and the 2-1/2 hours sped by way too fast, even with two curtain calls after a standing ovation.

Ya know, when I was a little girl, I used to think I could see fairies dancing barefoot in the grass under a tree in my backyard at dusk. It was only my imagination, I know, but if there really had been fairies there, I swear they would have looked just like a miniature version of the little fiddler with Celtic Woman.

 I was so enamored by my imaginary fairies, I even wrote a poem about it which was in my first book of poetry for children.

Fairies Dancing

Dancing Fairies

On warm dark nights I think I see
beneath the weeping willow tree,
wee fairies dancing in the grass
on tiny feet that fly so fast.

The music is the wind that blows

while fairies spin on bare tiptoes,
and fireflies jewel up the night
reflecting fairies in their light.

Round and round the fairies dance!

On bitsy feet they skip and prance
through tiny dew drops to and fro,
til morning comes, and then they go.

I wonder where the fairies live

and do they know what fun they give
to little girls and boys that see
beneath the weeping willow tree?


After the concert, we got back to dad's and two of my sisters were there waiting to take him out for a birthday dinner.  I was happy to get to visit with them for a little while, before we had to get back in the car and on the road to PA.

We didn't get home until nearly midnight, but the concert was still  very fresh in my mind.  I couldn't resist peeking through the curtains at the upstairs window.  I just had to know if I could see any fairies under the tree in the yard ...


"A Writer soon learns that easy to read is hard to write." ~CJ Heck

3 comments:

John B said...

This is certainly as precious as can be. It reminds me so much of travels to see family.
I'm glad I got to experience a family that cared and visited each other- long trips and motels- Howard Johnson's mostly.
"The Favorite" for breakfast.
Memories sray with us and bless us all the way...home.

John

CJ Heck said...

Hello John,
Yes, I agree -- family is what's important, always. Memories do stay with us forever. Thank you most sincerely for reading and for your thoughtful comment.
CJ

Anonymous said...

My daughter sees fairies and auras around people...I would never tell her it was only her imagination...believe in what you saw as real when you were a child and maybe you'll see again. :D

AddThis