Thursday, April 25, 2013

Lesson in a Glass of Water ..

How Heavy is Your Glass of Water?

A psychologist was teaching stress management to a large audience. As she walked around the room, she was holding a glass of water in front of her.

As she raised the glass high for everyone to see, they expected her to ask the "half empty, or half full", question. 

Instead, with a smile on her face, she inquired, "How heavy is this glass of water?"

The answers that were called out from the crowd ranged everywhere from 8 ounces to 20 ounces.

She replied, "The absolute weight really doesn't matter. So much depends on how long I hold it.

 If I hold it for a minute, it isn't a problem. If I hold it for an hour, I'll have a muscle cramp in my arm. But if I hold it for a day, my arm will feel numb, maybe even paralyzed.  In each case, the weight of the glass doesn't change, but the longer I hold it, the heavier it becomes."

She continued, "The stresses and worries in life are just like this glass of water. Think about them for a little while and nothing happens. Think about them a bit longer, and they begin to hurt. And, if you think about them all day long, you will feel paralyzed and incapable of doing anything about them at all."

It's important that we remember to let go of our stresses and not carry our burdens through the evening and into the night. We have to remember to ... put the glass down.

~Author Unknown


"A writer soon learns that easy to read is hard to write." ~CJ Heck

No comments:

AddThis